JOIN US OCTOBER 13, 2012


JOIN US!! October 13, 2012 from 4-7pm
Lakemont Pool and Tennis Club 409 Harvard St.
Raleigh, NC 27609

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Flapjack Jam - Get Ready Now!


Hello Flapjack Friends!

It's hard to believe it's time for the THIRD ANNUAL FLAPJACK JAM! Can you believe it? Seems like only yesterday we were flapping jacks, cakewalking and talking to the po-po about noise ordinances! Time sure does fly and it's no different over here at the HQ! Though, this year we have had time to reflect, ponder and come to some conclusions.


A few observations from the past year...kids grow up fast. Life is short. The bus is never on time when you are in a hurry. It's really hard to work when the pool is open. There are SO MANY reasons to prefer Michael Phelps over Ryan Lochte. And...cystic fibrosis sucks. I hate to use that word, I try to tell my kids to find another word, because surely we can. We are educated people, truly we are. So, we go with that - cystic fibrosis is unfortunate. It's tragic. It's miserable. It's sad. It's unlucky. It's bad...but, really, I think sucks is the best word. I hate that it's the best word, but I think it is. I want it to be something else, but it's not. Sucks. That's the word.


And, what's even worse than it sucks is that it totally surprises you too. Lulls you into thinking that it's not so terrible, then takes you completely off guard - like a kick in the gut. I have always known Dylan, and I have always known that he has cystic fibrosis, so I am not sure why when he was hospitalized for two weeks in July, I was so completely taken off guard. Maybe because he has always been so healthy - after all it had been five years since he had to be admitted to Duke. Maybe it's because he's so active - makes me tired to look at him! Maybe it's because Jeff and Nicole treat him the same way they treat Steven. Maybe it's because he chooses not to be defined by his illness. That must be it - I think we will go with that one!


Sometimes, driving home from seeing Nicole and Dylan in the hospital, or watching Jeff with Steven and Allyson, I would think if they can fight that hard, then surely we can too. That if they can have faith to move a mountain, then surely we can too. That if they refuse to let cystic fibrosis steal their lives, then surely we can too.

We CAN do so much. We CAN help so much. We CAN be so much...together. Let's make the 2012 Flapjack Jam the BEST FLAPJACK JAM EVER!

Save the date...it's coming...Saturday, October 13 at the Lakemont Club...details soon...will try NOT to use the word suck.

We are looking forward to seeing you all!

Becky, Mandy and Amy (AKA - the Head Flapjackers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment